Saturday, May 25, 2013

A God That Can Be Known

I was reading through 1 John this morning and came to the very end. It made me smile. It gave me joy. It reminded me of a miracle, a supernatural happening, that I only deemed to be a lofty thought at one time.

Let's just go straight to the source, shall we? "We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true - even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life" (1 John 5:20) (My emphasis added.) Really read it a few times. Receive it very personally from God.

Now let's chew on it a little. "We know also that the Son of God has come..." To know God we must know that the Son of God has come. We must believe. Deep down inside. And I did. But I found there was more for me: "...and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true." I needed understanding. This was not something I could come up with on my own! It was a supernatural gift of grace given by God through Jesus Christ. But let me tell you, I was so excited to know I could understand more about Christ. So I dug in the Word. I prayed for understanding. But then it got better!

As I prayed for understanding, God gave it. And I began to really know Him. I began to enjoy close fellowship with Him. He called me near so that I could know Him who is true.

I lived as a Christian with Jesus as my Savior for many years. But He came alongside me one day, interrupted my life, and revealed to me He wanted a close relationship with me. And it just changed everything for me! Because when we get to really know Jesus, He transforms our way of thinking. He allows us to see Him as He really is in all of His goodness, kindness and faithfulness. Contrary to popular belief, He is a God who can be known. Yes, I'll say it again. He is a God who can be known. I'll go further to say He wants to be known by us. It still blows my mind. And it should. This is a miracle, a supernatural happening: to know God.

Don't keep Jesus at a distance. He wants you to know Him. He knows everything about you, so anything you've done doesn't shock Him. He takes us just as we are. But then, He begins changing us from the inside out through His extravagant love. It's all about grace. And love.

I am proof of this! I never thought Jesus could really be known! But He can! And when we begin to really know Him in an intimate way, we find He is not harsh, condemning, unreasonable or cruel. He is kind, loving, correctional and encouraging.

Jesus can be known! Psalm 139 says that He knows everything about you. Why don't you let Him show you all He is? He can be trusted. Did He not give His all for you? Entrust the depths of your heart to Him, and watch your life be transformed before your very eyes. You will fall head over heels in love, because you will discover His great love for you, because He showed you and spoke to you.

Bend your knee. Pray for understanding. And come to know your God in a deeper way. It's not a lofty thought. He can be known. I'm right there with you on my knees, desiring to know Him more, and thankful that I am known and loved unconditionally.



Do you need some guidance? Purchase a Bible study online or from your local Christian bookstore. This was paramount in my path to knowing God. Read His Word. Pray. "He is near to those who call on Him, to all who call upon Him in truth." Psalm 145:18


No comments: